Monday, June 14, 2021

RACC MAKE BUILD LEARN GRANT

 I got a Make Build Learn grant from the Regional Arts and Culture Council! Last month on May 12th I got the email notifying me. On June 2nd I got the funds and in the morning when I discovered them I bought all the equipment I'd need to start on my stop motion project. It's been hard because my car was crashed into I think May 7th, I got the vaccine May 10th, I got the second dose June 8th, and this morning at 7AM a claims adjuster told me my car was repairable. A lot of things have been going on in my life!

I borrowed a friend's sister's DSLR camera and did some test shots (development) while I was waiting for UPS to deliver my camera (Nikon D7000) from eBay. I learned that cameras have a lifespan according to their shutter count and past its life expectancy it might need professional repair. A new DSLR and lens probably go over a thousand dollars so used was the only way to go! I got my AF Micro Nikkor 55mm lens from Youth In Focus Seattle.

I cleaned my studio apartment in preparation to receive three work tables and a saddle stool. My room mates aren't happy about how much space I'd need so I got very thin foldable tables (15" x 31") and pushed those against the furthest wall. (Previously there was only a 23.5"x 41" table that was bowed in the middle and an IKEA 5.99 stool that barely supported any weight).

I went to Mr. Plywood on Stark and got some cuts of Baltic Birch. I learned that Baltic Birch is "the good stuff". They only sell them in whole and half sheets which is so expensive but it's sturdy and will last a long time. I put a cut board on one of the tables to clamp the lamp and camera mount to. 

Same day (full of much walking and MAX light rail riding, no bus) I walked to collagepdx and scrappdx to buy yarn, floss, felt, and fabric. I'm actually very happy about the amount of fabric yards I was able to get from Scrap, I know JoAnn's has a remnant section too but I think the deals at Scrap are cheaper by half because I got several yards of light, medium, and dark blue fabric. 

I ironed most of the creases and folds out of the fabric but some wouldn't come out- it is what it is for a cheap deal! 

I spent a night and a morning moving the three tables around trying to get the best position along the wall. I eventually had to get rid of my futon and sleeping area to make more room.

My body is pretty sore from all the walking and moving furniture. I spent the last few hours troubleshooting the camera. I got it working last Friday but I don't remember how or if I did anything special. This morning after I set up the tables I found that the Live View wasn't working and that it failed to record shots in Dragonframe. After a lot of fiddling, it started working after I twisted the ring from 2.8 to 32. I have a lot to learn about prime lenses! I have no idea what the numbers on the DSLR barrel mean but I have it all set to Manual like I'm supposed to.

I also learned that the lamp has a different flicker rate than the camera so it causes something weird with picture quality.

I have some writing and fabricating to do for the film so I'll write about that next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment